Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Unto you is born a Savior




Performance-ism is pervasive. It is insidious.  I’m starting to see it in more and more places.  Even during Christmas.  Maybe especially during Christmas.

I watched the movie “The Sound of Music” again this year and saw something that I had never seen before.  Remember near the end of the film where Maria is singing to the Captain?  She has just found her true love, and all will be happy ever after.  She breaks out into song (again). The chorus goes like this;
“Nothing comes from nothing
Nothing ever could
So somewhere in my youth or childhood I must have done something good”

The subtle message being preached is that of karma; something good is happening to me now, so I must have done some good in the past to deserve it.
The message continues with Santa; you know the naughty or nice thing. If our niceness is greater than our naughtiness, then gifts will be delivered.